20mm Oerlikon WWII - Replica Dummy Shell
Replica dummy Oerlikon 20mm shell is made out of solid plastic resin molded from a real 1943 inert 20mm AP shell. With the brass colored resin casing and painted projectiles, they are made to look like the real thing. 3 of the most common types are available - Black AP (Armor Piercing), Blue HET (High Explosive Tracer) and Red HEI (High Explosive Incendiary)
These are great for any reenactor, cosplay, or historical display where the real thing is illegal or prohibited to use. An affordable reenactment gear item.
**NOT INTENDED TO BE USED OR PLACED IN ACTUAL GUN OR CANNON AND CANNOT BE MADE FUNCTIONAL
- Items are Made to Order: Please allow 5-7 business days for shipping.
- International Shipping available
- Secure Checkout & Payment Options.
- Made in USA by Marshall's Arsenal
Some Oerlikon History
During World War I, the German Reinhold Becker developed a 20 mm caliber cannon, known now as the 20 mm Becker. It was used on a limited scale as an aircraft gun on Luftstreitkräfte warplanes, and an anti-aircraft gun towards the end of that war.
Because the treaty of Versailles banned further production of such weapons in Germany, the patents and design works were transferred in 1919 to the Swiss firm based near Zürich. SEMAG continued development of the weapon. In 1924 SEMAG failed and the Oerlikon firm, named after the Zürich suburb where it was based, then acquired all rights to the weapon, plus the manufacturing equipment.
The US Navy had just a few hundred of these guns on hand when the Japanese struck Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Unlike many overseas made guns that used a belt, the US Navy’s model used a distinctive 60-round spring loaded drum magazine on the top of the gun. By distributing the plans and letting contracts go to numerous automobile manufacturers including Hudson and General Motors, more than 120,000 of the guns were made before the end of the war. Coupled with the MIT-designed electric Mark 14 electric gun sight that triangulated an aiming point on a rapidly approaching aircraft stabilized by two internal gyros, it was one of the most advanced weapons of its day.
The hardy 20mm Oerlikon was mounted on everything from tugboats and minesweepers to aircraft carriers. Usually manned by a five-man crew, it could be fired by a single sailor in a pinch—and often was. In post-war studies it was found that no less than one third of the Japanese aircraft shot down over the Pacific were down so by the German-invented, Swiss-perfected, US-built Oerlikon.